Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Project #3: Concept Statement

Shakespeare’s comedy The Tempest is a fantastically whimsical play, with supernatural elements, magic, love, and adventure. As I read the play, I knew I wanted it to never lose its sense of fun or fancy, and I began to see colors in my head first, before any other images or ideas came to me. I found paintings with bright color palettes. I became very attracted to jewel tones and the idea of nature on the island looking enchanted, through the use of vibrant colors and mystical lighting. As I continued looking through images and thinking about the characters, and the way the story is told, for whatever reason I could not get the idea of a circus out of my head. I played with it in my mind for a while- how could I make it work? I finally came up with what is the concept for my production of The Tempest: The characters are a bunch of circus performers, Prospero being the original ring leader, as well as an accomplished magician. When his ambitious brother overtakes him, he and Miranda are sent to an old abandoned circus/carnival site off the coast. The area is inhabited by magical beings, such as Ariel and Caliban, who are very close to nature and the elements. Therefore, when designing the set I would like the man-made pieces (old carousel horses, ferris wheel, tent, etc.) to have a faded, distressed look. Not ugly, but just a little forgotten. But I want the set to look as though nature has overtaken it, or at least fused with it. These natural elements (flowers, shrubs, water, etc.) should look almost unnaturally beautiful and vivid; this is where the jewel tones will be most bright.
The characters will all have their distinct roles and should be identifiable as belonging to a certain part of the circus. There are many characters in the show; I chose to concentrate on Prospero, Miranda, Ferdinand, and Ariel. Prospero is, of course, the ring leader. It makes sense because 1.) The ring leader is the highest position in the circus, so his being usurped is logical in this role and 2.) Prospero plays very much a ring leader in the course of events of the play. He sees himself as being in control and often drives the action of the play forward. Miranda is a delicate tight-rope walker. I see her as looking very doll like, and often behaving sweet and mild, like a doll. However, as she grows and falls in love, she gains independence and self-confidence. Ferdinand is a knife thrower. He is bold, but sweet. Skilled, but can act rashly. I drew my inspiration for Ariel, a spirit, from Cirque Du Soleil. I did not want him/her to be a “classic” clown or anything to gimmicky, but rather something unworldly, even for the circus. The look of Cirque Du Soleil does very well at establishing a look that says “performance” but is still magical.
I want the show to reflect in its design a sort of lost beauty in that which is old- such as the abandoned grounds, and Prospero’s garb- contrasted with the birth of new, natural beauty
found in the growth of flowers and plants over the grounds, and the vitality that new love and life brings through the young lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment